munch, munch, munch...

I've been lurking on the list for a couple of weeks, happily reading the
archives and current posts and feeling grateful to everyone on this list
for sharing so much knowledge so freely.  Thanks, everyone.

On the munching subject I do have some shared experience.  My 20 G long
tank has been up  going on 8 weeks and has only julii corys and otos.
Someone has been "cleaning" leaves until they're paper thin and perforated
and kind of fade away.  Because of the way they work on broad leaves, I
suspect one or more of the otos, but I've never seen them at it.  Also
interesting is that the culprit has a preference for red plants.  The
cardinal lobelia was suffering nightly until I put in some sunset hygro.
The lobelia shows no further signs of damage, and one stalk of sunset hygro
is now just that, a stalk.

My otos show absolutely no sign of being willing to eat any organized fish
food, although they will go after cantaloupe and zucchini.  I've wondered
if giving them cantaloupe developed a taste for colored foods.  Is that too
fanciful?

Ellen O'Connell
mailto:oconnell_wadeash at ix_netcom.com