Re: Rotting Val

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Margaret Elford wrote:

> What causes Val to rot at the ends and what can I do about it?

Old leaves on val in my tanks die back from the end.  When I see that
start I simply remove the leaf.  It's generally the oldest leaf on the
plant.  If you trim the ends of the leaves then they may die faster.

An excessive loss of older leaves may signal a shortage in some mobile
nutrient - nitrogen is particularly suspect.  Check your fertilizing
methods and test for nitrate.  The Krib provides a lot of good background
on fertilizing aquatic plants.

Roger Miller