Re: Has anyone used this fertilizer?

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Josh Liechty wrote:

> I was at the LFS a few days ago and saw this fertilizer called "Plant Gro"
> (made by Hagen). On the label, it lists the things it contains:
> Nitrogen    0.3%
> Phosphorus  0.08%
> Potassium   0.8%
> Magnesium   0.006%
> Sulfer     0.011%
> Iron        0.0048%
>
> Has anyone used this fertilizer with good and/or bad results? And what do
> you think of the percentages of the various nutrients it provides?

This is the only water-column fertilizer I've used for a few years.  I
don't use it regularly.  When I do use it, it works.  It isn't a complete
fertilizer.

> Should I
> just order Seachem's Flourish and Flourish Iron fertilizers instead of this?
> (I would prefer to use a fertilizer that I can get at the LFS instead of one
> that I have to place a mail order for each time I need a new bottle).

I sympathize.  You could try using the "Plant Gro" (I hate the name) and
if that doesn't work well enough for you, then move on.

> BTW,
> what do you think of Tetra's "Flora Pride" fertilizer?

I think Flora Pride gives just iron and potassium, and it provides a good
dose of both.  If your plants are deficient on either iron or potassium
then adding Flora Pride should get you a readily observed result. I think
you need to use Flora Pride along with the rest of the Tetra fertilizer
regime to get a complete fertilizer.  I quit using the Tetra products in
favor of substrate amendments and the occasional dose of "Plant Gro".

Roger Miller