Re: Top-off water / "Ecology of Planted Aquarium"

Apart from the "too pure" water problems I have been having, hardwater
nutrient wise, now well on the mend with thanks to those helping me out, I
endorse this approach; look up http://www.users.uswest.net/~laren/ for Larry
Miracle's aquariums using it.

There are a few things I would do differently next time - I used a very rich
organic potting mix, next time I would try "soil soup", see
http://wwww.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/month.9712/msg00194.html, with a
smaller particle size, some clay in it, and a bit less organic matter; see
also http://www.actwin.com/fish/aquatic-plants/month.9712/msg00224.html

Also, the more sunlight access the better!  My tanks get a bit of late
afternoon sun if the weather cooperates, the more sun, the better the plants
look!

Good luck,

Susi