Re: Lead, an Important Nutrient?

    I was surprised to read in Amano's Aqua Journal #34, that he listed the
"three main minerals" for aquatic plants as being " nitrogen, lead and
calcium" !  I wonder if it is a translation error.  I've found mention of
lead in the archives regarding it's potential toxicity in planted tanks, but
nothing of it's role as a nutrient.  Amano's quality, and rate, of growth
appear to me to be superb, so I want to carefully consider the information he
offers.
    Since most use tapwater as their source water, they might be introducing
some lead into their tanks on a regular basis.  I use RO purification on my
tapwater, which I think removes the majority of any lead present.  I drive
the plants pretty hard under pretty high light, and want to be sure I'm
providing all they need to get the finest growth possible.
      Does anyone have any input on this?  I wonder, at what levels is lead
present in the water and substrates of our plants natural habitats?  And, do
we have any descriptions of lead deficiency symptoms?  I would sure
appreciate hearing about this.  I've never seen it listed in any aquatic
fertilizer or reconstitution product, although they don't all list every
ingredient.  If Amano lists it's importance on par with nitrogen and calcium,
then perhaps it's something to consider seriously.

    Thanks Very Much,

    Zach K

It HAS to be a misprint or a translation error.  Lead is not a
macronutrient, nor has it been found to be a micronutrient for plants.
Experiments have been done with highly purified nutrient solutions, and
there has not been any evidence that plants need even traces of lead.

Paul Krombholz, in bone dry central Mississippi