Re: Carbo-plus

> From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Carbo-plus
>
> Paul Sears writes:
>
> <<     It _may_ effect the following reaction in hard water:
>
>     Ca++  +  2HCO3-   ->   CaCO3  +  H2O  +  CO2
>
>     That _is_ consistent with Merrill's observations e-mailed
> to me in late 1998.
>  >>

> That asumes Bicarbonates.

	It assumes bicarbonates _and_ calcium (maybe magnesium would do
it).

>  If indeed it did affect hardness like this, it
> would handy for people trying to soften their tanks, and the resultant drop
> in KH would be measureable by someone who has used the thing for more than a
> month, even with regular partial water changes.

	KH and GH should drop - I would like to see some measurements, not
to mention some tests on the deposit that forms on the device.

>  But what about pure
> carbonate solutes like Ca(CO3)2?

	Do you mean CaCO3?  The solubility product of that is very low.
In aquaria, the pH ensures that the HCO3- concentration is much higher
than the CO3-- concentration.

Would we get?:

>            2 Ca++   +   2 CO3   ----> 2Ca  + O2 + 2CO2

	No.  One thing you will _not_ get is metallic calcium.

> This could be handy, and I would buy it for sure if that is how it works.  I
> would drop it in a barrel of water and after GH and KH drop far enough I
> would use the purified water for my apistos and angels, and maybe even start
> keeping discus.

	It would be a _lot_ cheaper to boil the water:

	Ca++  +  2HCO3-   ->  CaCO3  + H20  + CO2 (leaves with steam)

	Then just filter off the CaCO3 before atmospheric CO2 re-enters
and causes it to redissolve.

--
Paul Sears        Ottawa, Canada