Re: onyx

In a message dated 09/01/2000 3:54:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

<< I was pretty
 surprised that the Onyx leached enough buffering capacity to get the pH so
 high...9, I believe.  So if you started with neutral 7 pH water in a tank,
 added a few inches of Onyx, will your pH skyrocket up to 9?    >>

Carmen,  I too was considering Onyx as a substrate choice. Seachem states
that it has a buffering capacity. Since my tap water has more than enough
phosphates, I was very concerned about the source of this buffering. I
emailed Seachem. They said that the source of the buffering was a carbonate
source and not phosphates. So the skyrocketing pH is understandable. What I
would like to know is: does this buffering last forever? will it dissipate
with time? can rinsing beforehand help? If anyone has experience please share
your knowledge with the list!
Lynn