cloudy tank observation part II

Hi all,

Just learned something: a cloudy tank is not necessarily cycling, and a
cycling tank is not necessarily cloudy.

Until tonight, I thought all cycling tanks were cloudy, that the
cloudiness meant the tank was cycling, etc. If you read my previous
whine, I have what I thought was a cloudy, cycyling 125 gal and a
crystal clear 30 gal., both newly set up, with the 125 a couple of weeks
older.

To my horror tonight, I lost three green tiger barbs in my 30 gal within
five hours. I tested the water and found no ammonia, but a huge, scary
nitrite spike. The tank has some small, healthy cryps, low light and no
CO2. The water in this tank looks beautiful, always has, but was,
apparently, pure poison.

I tested the water in the heavily planted cloudy, horrible-looking 125
aquarium-from-hell and found no ammonia and no nitrites. After five
weeks of cloudiness, I'm beginning to think the tank has cycled and the
cloudiness is from something else.

Anyway, I removed my two remaining tiger barbs and put them in the 125.
They may not live, but at least they'll die comfortably.

Has anyone else had this experience?

--
Amy
amyh at atl_mediaone.net