Re: Monodactylus-resistant plants

> Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 09:01:24 EDT
> From: Piabinha at aol_com
> Subject: Monodactylus-resistant plants
>
> are there any plants that would resist the attacks of a Monodactylus sebae
> and some Distichodus affinis?  my previously planted tank is now bare!!!!
> they stripped the Anubias of all their leaves and stems.  i couldn't
believe
> anything could eat anubias.  i clip some houseplants (marble pothos, green
> wandering jew) and toss it in the tanks and they eat it all!!!
>
> tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA
Last time I tried keeping brackish fish like those, I had to opt for
rockscaping.  Monos and Scats are especially voracious planteaters, even for
brackish fish...nice thing is, you probably won't see too much algae.
Driftwood and waterlogged roots give a nice plant-y effect, kinda like
underwater in a mangrove swamp.  I've also seen pictures of tanks full of
plant-eating or plant-destroying fish that have moisture-loving plants above
the tank, illuminated by pendant lights, and with roots and runners dangling
into the water.

Let us know what you figure out!

Dwight Young
In Palmdale, CA, where if the water were any harder you could build with it.