Re: Arowanna setup

"There are only goldfish in the tank now to cycle the singal large-volume
cansiter filter; the arowana won't be added until the plants are
established."

Nobody else seems to have noticed this, or thought it a problem. While I
haven't kept goldfish for years, I do remember that any plants put in their
tanks were usually considered "lunch". You might want to reconsider the
species you use to get your biological filter going, or go the fishless
route using ammonia followed by a massive water change to remove the
nitrates before you add the arowanna. Otherwise, I fear that try as you
might, you may never get a healthy growth of live plants - especially given
your low lighting conditions. They will be harrassed to shreads before they
can become established. Goldfish are very definately omnivorous and will eat
anything they can catch and get into their mouths.

James Purchase
Toronto