plant selection, setup, and planting schedule

Hello All.

I am new to the list and have checked the faqs, but i have some questions that you
may
be able to help me with.  Sorry for the longish message; I thoght I should be
thorough. :)

I'm planning on setting up a 180 gallon planted tank with
a single silver arowana.  The tank is in a room
that has large windows on three sides and has a double-light flourescent
fixture (the bulbs are just the ones that came with the fixture). There
are only goldfish in the tank now to cycle the singal large-volume
cansiter filter; the arowana won't be added until the plants are
established.  When I start to add plants (in a few weeks) what kinds of
plants should I add first and how long before I add the rest? Or do I
just add them all at once. Enclosed is a tentative list of plants that i
will consider (i'm not putting all of them in; maybe you can help me
narrow down the list).
Can you suggest a floating plant that is easy to keep, fits my setup, and would help

the arowana with cover?

For substrate, I will plant the nutrient-hungry species in individual or group pots
of a homemade
potting mixture that has worked well in the past.  Would you suggest I add laterite
to the mixture?
I don't plan on using CO2 supplementation and would avoid it at all costs, but I
will periodically treat the water with some kind of liquid
iron/potassium supplement.  I plan on keeping the temperature in the
high 70s.  I may also add a dozen malaysian live-bearing snails to help
"aerate" the substrate.  Any additions, suggestions, and criticism would
be appreciated.

Kindest Regards,
Al Sedarat

Echinodorus bleheri (paniculatus)
Echinodorus osiris (rubra)
Echinodorus 'Ozelot' "green"
Echinodorus quadricostatus "magdalenensis"
Echinodorus cordifolius "Ovalis"
Egeria densa (Elodea or Anacharis)
Vallisneria spiralis "Tiger"
Vesicularia dubyana