Re: Lamotte O2 test

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 16:24:38 -0500
From: John_P_Bonin at eFunds_Com
Subject: Re: Lamotte O2 test

>The reason I'm injecting O2 is because I don't have a lot of plants in my
>tank.   Actually, I don't want a lot of plants.  However I do want a lot of
>fish and I believe some (like parrot cichlids) have died as a result
>(little movement and very heavy gill breathing).  So this is a true concern
>for me.  I don't use an O2 tank for this.  I choose to do this by running
>the tubing from my air pump into my canister filter (using a cheap metering
>valve inbetween) rather than just running a plain airstone.  This
>eliminates the salt and mineral build up on my glass tops.
For CO2, I found that making a reactor with a small pump pumping water into the
top of a gravel vac and CO2 bubbling into the bottom to work better than
bubbling into the filter intake.  This setup should work better for O2 as well.
Check www.thekrib.com for plans.

If your goal is to keep a lot of fish, higher maintenance, with increased water
changes looks to be the best solution.  Vacuum the poop and whatnot out of the
tank often, because their decomposition uses O2, and the addition of water will
add fresh O2 into the tank.  Another aid to this would be to add a wet/dry sump
filter.  This will increase your volume and make your tank seem bigger.

>Based on your response I don't know how much is 'a lot of plants'.  Not
I've always wanted to know this too.  The best answer I found was 50% to 80% of
the floor area being planted.

>I'd just like to know what range of acceptable tritation tube readings are
>for this kit.
From everyone elses responses, it seems like unless you pressurize the fish
tank, you'll never really break the saturation level.