New Softer Substrate for Corys

Hello Greater Knowledged beings,
    Cory Question for any takers. I looked through the archives to no avail.
I'm about to come into ownership of a school of 15 Cory Cats, and I know that
i have a sharp stubstrate, It feels sharp. Safe to say I want to head off any
barbel problems now, plus, imagine pouring sand on a new substrate with 15
corys! Buried Corys, Yikes!  I thoughr that Corys come from sand like dunes,
right? Is it possible to put fine sand on top of my larger substrate? Do you
think it will just settle right through? I want the softest substrate
possible, regardless of color, shape, size, etc... Thanks so much, where are
those Japanese Cory pictures now :-?  Oh, and to throw in my Aquatic Plant
twist, what would be the affect on plants, besides the obvious covering with
sand when adding another layer that would theoretically close the stubstrate
further to water movement?  Thanks, Bill