Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #492

Roger Miller wrote:

> I'm surprised by the relatively low-light conditions advised for
> Echinodorus and Sagittaria.

The info came from an aquatic plant book. I take all that type of info with a
grain of salt.

> Is it your experience that plants in those general grow well at the low
> end of the lighting range?

It depends on what "well" means. <g>

> I find that they tend to "reach"

"Growing tall" might be "well" to some people

> and get ugly,

I agree, that's not "well" to me either.

> Is it your experience that plants in those general grow well at the low
> end of the lighting range?

I don't have any experience with that. <g>  Last time I checked, we had at least
1000 lux at the substrate in areas that weren't shaded.

> Also, some Crypts are definitely *not* low-light plants and trying to
> maintain them at the low end of the lighting range can only fail.  I guess
> this is just the inherent result of generalization.

Yes, the chart was extremely general.  But at least it was *some* data.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts