Re: Lux Meter Readings

> Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:20:43 -0700 (PDT)
> From: peachdoo at excite_com
>
> <cool luxmeter data snipped>
>
> I know that others have been taking readings and concerning themselves with
> reflectivity in the aquarium and from the hood reflectors.  But my concern
> is what kind of light intensity is needed by the plants and is minimal or
> optimal for the various species.

One of many lighting dissertations that I posted to UseNet in 1995 was kindly
archived by Erik Olson at the Krib:

  http://www.TheKrib.com/Plants/Tech/lighting.html#8

Here is a snippet from that post:

============================
There is precious little information about how much light energy various
plants need. The only quantitative data I've found is in "The Complete
Book of Aquarium Plants" (Allgayer and Teton, translated from French).
The following table is from that book (roughly treanslated):

                Amount of lighting in lumens/m^2 (lux)
Plant genera    500 1000  1500 2000 2500 3000 3500 4000 4500 5000
-----------------|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|----|
surface plants      |------------------------------------------->
Myriophyllum        |--------------------------X----|
Bacopa            |--------X---------|
Hottonia             |-------X--------------------------------|
Ludwigia             |-------X---------------------------|
Aponogeton           |--------X----------------------|
Ceratopteris         |---X-----------------------------|
Nomaphila            |--------X---------------------|
Rotala               |--------X------------------|
Vallisneria        |-------X--------------|
Echinodorus      |--X-------------|
Sagittaria        |-X---------|
Cryptocoryne     |-X--------|
Marsilea         |-X--------|
Micorsorium      |-X--------|

"X" indicates the optimum for each genera.

So, get that old luxmeter positioned near the majority of the leaf mass and see
how you did.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts