Re: Pump for a Plant Tank Wet/Dry Filter...

> Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 12:34:44 -0400
> From: Paul Mouritsen <mourip at erols_com>
>
> I bought a used 75G tank with a nice wet/dry filter but the Supreme Mag
> Drive pump is noisey. It seems to have cavitation noise which is getting
> tiresome...It is a Model 5 which I am guessing puts out 500gph at probably
> a 1' head and maybe something like 300gph at 4'.  I would like to replace
> it with a new pump which will work for my current setup, a soon_to_be
> heavily planted freshwater tank. I could use some suggestions for tank
> turnover and also for a quiet dependable pump. How about a Rio 2100 or an
> Eheim 1250? Right now I am tending toward the submersible type... I know
> that the Quiet One is a winner but I am afraid that the output will be too
> much. I am not trying to create a Rocky Mountain stream theme :-)

Your fear is unfounded. Our Quiet Ones are doing about 360 gph at a 4' head.  We
use a ball valve on the output of the pump to control the flow.  As you restrict
the flow, the pump actually does less work and draws less energy.  We've had bad
experiences with submersible pumps - get a real one!

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts