Re: Florida Flag Fish Freedom

> Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:06:38 -0500
> From: Augie Eppler
>
> People, lets stop all this nonsense. If you think Jordonella
> floridae looks like a flag, "ANY" flag, you need to stop
> smoking all of that Hygrophilia difformis;-)
>
> To answer your question David, no they don't. The pattern
> somewhat resembles the battle flag of the Confederacy.

Having lived in Florida, I already knew about the flag (ooh, act like a
lawyer, now) - hence the horizontal.

Having lived in Florida, I've also seen _J. floridae_ in it's native
habitat, and especially in breeding colors. And I have to agree with the
description served up to the Native Fish Conservancy,

"In a well lit, heavily planted tank, the male takes on the appearance that
leads to the common name. "American-Flag Fish"...for the male looks as if he
dressed in the national pennant...With red stripes on the sides, and an
upper fore-quadrant of deep blue, the resemblance is uncanny. The iridescent
green-white spot on each scale makes the stars in the blue field, as well as
the "white" rows between the red stripes (if you don't mind a grass-stained
look to the white). The upper and lower edges of the scales are bright red,
forming solid, horizontal, brilliant red stripes. The transparent unpaired
fins are a pale sky blue, but dorsal and anal are so covered with red
markings that red is the dominant hue."

The article itself is at
http://www.nativefish.org/Articles/Jordanella-floridae.htm , and its
venerable author is easily recognizable to this list. I don't mention his
name because I haven't noticed him choosing to enter this rediculous debate,
nor do I expect him to have to defend what he wrote simply because I quoted
him.

I merely present this quote to show my vision isn't too "foggy" - so if you
don't mind, leave the drug quips where they belong and find another way to
"win"...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10 at mindspring_com