Re: Another question about water reconstitution

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Bailin Shaw wrote:

> Anyways, to my question.  I went to the grocery store yesterday and was
> looking at the calcium tablets.  There are so many types and the ingredients
> vary from one brand to another.  What are some of the extra ingredients that
> are in the tablets that you use beside from calcium carbonate?  I don't want
> to add something that is going to be harmful to my fish.  Thanks for taking
> to time to answer my question.

My bottle lists maltodextrin, cellulose, mineral oil, gelatin, stearic
acid, magnesium stearate, crospovidone.  I think these are a soluble
coating, fillers and stuff added so that the calcium carbonate
disintegrates to a fine powder once the coating is dissolved, which takes
a few seconds.  I don't know what crospovidone is.  Fortunately it's the
last thing on the list so should be there in the smallest quantities.

It is difficult to get the calcium carbonate into solution.  If that tries
your patience too much then try Kevin Zippel's recipe; it gives very
similar results and dissolves move easily but requires that you find a
source for potassium bicarb.

Roger Miller