Nitrates

Hello Everyone:
     The nitrates in my tank continue to remain high or climb back up to
high levels after a water change.  I don't know what to do.  Bought some
nitrate stuff you put in the filter, but no results yet.  How long does it
take this gravelly looking stuff to work?  I read-up on the Krib about the
nitrogen cycle and mature tanks, but the subject stops at nitrates.  Aren't
the plants supposed to kick in and utilize it and break it down further?  My
discus are not happy and neither am I. I am not a chemist or biologist.
Should I just cut back on feeding?  What are my options and what happens
after I have reached the noble heights of ammonia>nitrite>nitrate?  Help!
Diana

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html