Good Beginner Plants

Hi! I am just starting up a 20 gallon aquarium and I was wondering if anyone knows any good plants for beginners(btw, this is my first aquarium). My friend said that Anubias plants are good to start out with. I also have another question: I don't think that my fluorescent light is powerful enough for a lot of plants(I think it said 17 watts #:O). Anyway, would it be alright if I hung a shop light(4 ft. I think) above the aquarium(with, of course, fluorescent lighting)?
Thanks!
-Bryce
bryce at ncci_net