Re: Coconuts? Slightly off topic.

> Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 13:39:29 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Christopher Newell

> ...I bought two coconuts and managed to get them open
> this afternoon without maming myself. The sticker on the
> coconut said to use a "stout knife or vegetable peeler" to
> get the meat out.  I successfully managed to bend the
> peeler and figured I'd better put the knife away before I
> sliced off my thumb.  Now I have four meat filled coconut
> halves in the kitchen sink.
>
> ...Any suggestions on how to dig the meat out?

Yes indeed -

Place a half-shell in the microwave for two minutes. It will partially dry
and cook the meat, causing it to draw back from the shell. It is then _much_
easier to pry out - and even makes good "snack chips" if you don't mind the
added cholesterol...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10 at mindspring_com