Re:Keeping Quarantine Tank Filter Media in a Planted Tank

Gearge Booth wrote:
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:48:52 -0600 (MDT)
From: George Booth <booth at lvld_agilent.com>
Subject: Keeping Quarantine Tank Filter Media in a
Planted Tank

Since we don't get new fish all that often, we
normally don't have an
active  quarantine tank. We have a 29 g tank in
storage
that we use when the need arises but it needs a filter
seeded with
bacteria to
function. My plan was to keep a bag of Eheim media
(Ehfistuffofsomekind) in the
sump of a trickle filter. When needed, the media would
be put in a 2213
canister
to run the quarantine tank.

We tried that recently and it didn't seem to work.
After two days, we
noticed
ammonia building up in the quarantine tank. We've
resorted to frequent
emergency
water changes and replaced the media with bioballs
from one of the
trickle
filters. Luckily, the quarantinees are doing fine but
our self-image of
"expert
aquarists" has taken a beating.

Ok hear goes.
Hello George :)
This is comming from a newbie. Beware!! Ha Ha
I do not know what "Eheim media
(Ehfistuffofsomekind)" is so take the next opinion
with a grain of salt. It is my understanding that all
you need for a filter in a Q tank is a sponge one.
As to seeding your filter this can be done in a five
gallon bucket in the basement out of the way.

Here is a link that will provide you with some
knowledge on how to cycle a new tank in 4 days min to
a little over a week. Yes that's right folks you heard
correctly :) Hard to believe isn't it? It will also
show how to keep this cycle going sans fish or
anything else for that matter.

www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/cycling.html

HTH Davis :)