Re: Keeping Quarantine Tank Filter Media in a Planted Tank

Sylvia wrote:
>If you resolved the ammonia problem by dropping the bioballs into the filter
>unit, it appears that the media you initially used in there was not cultured
>well. Actually, before using the nitra-sorb, I tried bioballs (or stars?)
>that had been in another filter and that didn't work for me.

I don't know if the bioballs helped or not. Obviously (maybe), the seeded media
wasn't doing its job and was problably making things worse if other bacteria in
it were dying off. I pulled it out and added bioballs as a knee-jerk reaction.
Those also may not be helping. Since we been changing a 5 gallon bucket of water
every so often, we haven't been testing.

I'll check again tonight and see what's up. I'll also verify that the test kit
is working.

Little things like this can sure make you feel dumb :-(

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts