RE: Bleaching algae

>"tcbiii" = The Country's Best Independent Ichthyology
>Iconoclast?
Nope, the 3rd(the three was already taken). Yes, there
are 3 of me:)There won't be/isn't a 4th.

>If one constantly bleached plants to get rid of algae
>and did not use a
>strong
>enough solution or did not have a long enough dwell
>time, might one
>then develop
>a bleach-resistant strain of algae that might take
>over one's tank?

>Just wondering.

No, the chance for this to happen is mainly based on
antibiotics which are multiple orders of bactericidal
toxicity lower than even the mildest of bleach. Many
antibiotics are bacterial static rather than
bactericidal. Bleach is used in our microbiology labs
all across the world to sterilize equipment and
inoculating loops etc.
I doubt that algae can exchange antibiotic plasmids
when stress is applied but I could be wrong.
Phycologist may know but it seems very unlikely to me.
It's the fools that add antibiotics to our food supply
etc that cause problems like this. Think of and
brainstorm a way to make a bacteria resistant to an
antibiotic. Think of every one......... now take a
look at this list and you'll see we/society are doing
everyone of them:(
But algae are different and I know no organism that
handle bleach. But we use the bleach/ammonia based
stuff for our water supply:)
But the antibiotics are much less toxic to life
generally than bleach.
Of course there are exceptions to every rule. I think
our own lives at more at risk with this problem than
the algae taking over our tanks:)

Side note: The Anthrax bacterium. A load of chemical
war grade Anthrax was disposed of in the Aral Sea in
the former USSR buried under 100meters of alkali
caustic salts and then they dump several large loads
of bleach over this. An American bio hazard team
checked up on the spores about 3 years or so
later.....they were still viable....(shudder).

Regards,
Tom Barr