Names

A couple of points:

1. Casuarina equestifolia is indeed the proper Latin name of what everyone in
Florida calls "Australian Pine". There are, I believe, two species found in
Florida - one with shorter needles along the coast that reproduces mainly by
seed and another longer leafed variety that spreads by suckers. The later is
the type originally employed by farmers down here as a wind break between
fields. The former is ubiquitous to tropical coasts worldwide - it's seeds
being spread by the sea. The Mellaluca or "paperbark" our Australian friend
refers to is another story altogether.
Dwight's hairgrass is, I believe, Eleocharis geniculata - a tough little
spikerush. I sent some to Tom - what do you think?

Bob Olesen
West Palm Beach