Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #464

on 8/10/00 7:48 AM, William Bragg writes on the
Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com:

> Well it seems I have very soft water here in Salem Oregon.  My GH & KH both
> register no more than 1dKH and 1dGH. I plan on introducing CO2 using a 5lb
> CO2 tank, etc.  My ph is around 6.3.  Will the CO2 drop the ph too much?
> What should be my concerns?  And what are possible solutions?  Or don't I
> have anything to worry about?

I have almost identical water to yours. Brittle is what I'd classify it as.
Even without CO2 added, the water will plummet down to 5 or below for a pH.

At the local hardware store I picked up a "lifetime" supply of crushed
oyster shell, more than a pound of it, for the whopping sum of $1.05, tax
included. Rinse it thoroughly, it's quite dusty and will cloud the water.
Place a handfull in a clean nylong knee-hi and place it in the filter so
that water flows over it. Spread it out for maximum contact with the water.

The oyster shell raises my gH up slightly over 5 and the alkalinity follows
as well at just under 4. Good enough to add smaller amounts of CO2 and keep
the pH up at 6.8 to 7.2 over time.

Seems to be the best overall way for really soft low alkalinity water.

Susan