Raingutter CP's

Sylvia,

I forget the guys name, but I think it's the "Idiot's Guide to Planted Tanks"
or something like that at:

              http://members.carolina.net/hyrb/index./html

This cat shows you how to make CP strip lighting with raingutter PVC, double
bulb ceiling lamps and screw in PC's from Home Depot. Being a cheapskate at
heart, I made one myself and am pretty happy with it.

However, as has been discussed and pointed out often on this list, the amount
of usable light actually entering a tank is also largely a function of the
reflective and refractive properties of whatever reflector is used.
Consequently, watt for watt; compared to the CP kit I bought from A&H for not
a lot more money, my Home Depot rig looks pretty weak by comparison.

I would also venture to guess that the efficiency and longevity of the A&H
kit exceeds the raingutter rig by a significant factor as well. So, while I
had some fun making it, I think for the difference in quality, the little bit
of money I saved really wasn't worth it.  Kim at A&H was really nice and very
helpful. I think they even sell a timer with the kit now that you can
hardwire into the setup too, thus saving you another trip to the store. Next
CP I'm doing is coming from A&H again.

Actually, the next lighting project I'm doing is going to be a couple of
pendant metal halides for the six foot tank that's going into the living room
- as a surprise present for my wife. :)

Bob Olesen
West Palm Beach