Re: filter flow

> Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 22:43:52 -0700
> From: "Blue Eyes" <djohnson1981 at yahoo_com>
>
> > If the pump uses an impeller, you should restrict the output flow, not the
> > input flow.   Reducing the input will destroy the pump.
>
> Then, how come cannister filters place the media on the intake side of the
> impeller assembly - isn't this effectively the same as reducing the input
> flow?  I understand that this is done to give suction, rather than pressure,
> inside the cannister - making any leaks less of a trouble, but at the
> expense of the motor?  What am I missing here?

Don't forget that canister filter pumps aren't really pumping against a head
like a trickle filter pump does. Canister filter pumps just move water along.
The siphon action of the hose is taking care of moving water up and down. Thus
the motor is doing much less work and is not as sensitive to the same problems
as a real pump.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts