[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #462

> I was informed by a fellow list member that one
> ounce per 13 gallons will be ok. But, I found out 
> first hand that hydrocotyle is sensitive to that 
> dose of H2O2. So, I've cut in in half with no 
> adverse consequences. 

That would be one ounce of 3% Hydrogen peroxide
U.S.P., correct?  In some parts of the world (the UK,
for example), the H2O2 solution is 6%.  

From what I've read, 1/2 oz (15ml) of 3% H2O2 per 10
U.S. gallons (37.85 liters) is a dosage that controls
algae and cyanophytes without causing harm to fish,
filter or invertebrates.  Earlier posts from a
listmember in the UK related no ill effects of a 15ml
dosage of 6% H2O2 in a 50l tank, which, if repeated
using 3% H2O2, would be 30ml per 50l, or about one
ounce per 13 U.S. gallons.  That's roughtly a 50%
increase in strength.  I believe that might be

At approximately 6:00 pm yesterday, I removed two
small stones and a cutting of hornwort that were
covered with cyano.  I netted a cardinal tetra from
the planted tank and a feeder goldfish from the pond. 
I took out out a small section of the tank's filter
media and one Mystery Snail (about 7mm diameter) and
placed all of these in my 2 gal. quarantine/hospital
with some tankwater.  Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, pH 7.0, kH
100-120 ppm.  

I then measured 3ml of 3% H2O2 and added it directly
to the water.  After approximately two minutes, the
surfaces of the stones and the hornwort began to
'foam.'  After approximately three minutes, the filter
media began to foam as well.  After five minutes, all
surfaces were literally streaming bubbles to the
surface.  After approximately 90 minutes (I had to fix
dinner because my wife was altering school uniforms),
the stone and plant surfaces were completely clean.
The filter media was almost clean.  Bubbling had all
but stopped.  The snail continued to cruise the side
of the tank, showing no ill effects.  The fish did not
seem to care.  At approximately 5:30 this morning, or
roughly 12 hours after the dosage was applied, the
snail was still cruising, the fish still did not seem
to care and the hornwort displayed no ill effects
whatsoever.  The cyanobacteria was completely

Ammonia was up to 0.5 ppm.  Nitrite 0.  pH was 6.8, kH
still 100-120 ppm.  Netted the fish and returned them

Based on what I observed with regards to the filter
media, I would definitely remove it or bypass it.  I
believe a 15ml dosage of 3% H2O2 in 10 U.S. gallons is
sufficient to hammer the filter culture.  Since a
great many nitrifying bacteria also live on the
surfaces of the tank, I would keep a close eye on
ammonia and nitrite.  

Based on what I observed with regards to the
cyanobacteria, this dosage is a safe and effective
means of ridding the tank of it, if care is taken to
protect the filter culture.  The fish's greatest
source of stress was being netted twice in 12 hours,
and the snail was unaffected.

The listmember in the UK (Tony Ford?) repeated the
dosage every 48 hours, and performed water changes
between dosages.  I think the water changes are a good
idea (they're a good idea anyway), but unless I still
have a visible population of cyanophytes, I will not
repeat the dosage.

Do You Yahoo!?
Kick off your party with Yahoo! Invites.