Re: filter flow

> > If the pump uses an impeller, you should restrict the output flow, not the
> > input flow.   Reducing the input will destroy the pump.
>
> Then, how come cannister filters place the media on the intake side of the
> impeller assembly - isn't this effectively the same as reducing the input
> flow?  I understand that this is done to give suction, rather than pressure,
> inside the cannister - making any leaks less of a trouble, but at the
> expense of the motor?  What am I missing here?

I'm not sure.  I don't use canister filters, so I don't know if
there are other safeguards in there to keep things safe, or if
the pump works differently than powerhead impellers.  I do
specifically remember reading (but now I can't remember where!)
that for powerheads and impeller based submersible pumps, that
the output should be restricted, not the input.

--
Chuck Gadd