Lots of plants--why are nitrates so high?

Three years ago I removed the UGF from my 55-gallon to ease a high-nitrate
problem and provide a better environment for plants. (started using a
canister filter) Nitrates have been undetectable until recently, when they
surged. I've done nothing differently I can think of, I have pretty heavy
plant growth, and now I'm back to battling high nitrates with frequent water
changes. Will I have to tear down the tank and start over? I have about 15
medium size fish, all other standard measurements are fine (nitrites,
ammonia, ph). DIY CO2.
Thanks for any advice.
Carla