Re: Pleco damage

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Lobos wrote:

> My bristlenose and clown plecos have never left any
> damage on the leaves they were cleaning.

For years I responded to the suggestion the same way, then found out last
spring that some of the problems that I long attributed to nutrient
deficiency were in fact caused by my clown pleco's (mostly) low-grade
damage to the leaves.

I had wood in my tank which they gnawed constantly and I rarely actually
saw them on the plants.  I found that regular feeding with zucchini helped
keep them from damaging the plants, but it didn't stop them.  I moved the
little guys to another tank where I wasn't as sensitive to their damage,
and now the plants in that tank are declining.

Roger Miller