reducing filter outflow

When I want to reduce the current in my tanks I use a filter bag or pantyhose
material to form an attachment to my return flow outlets.  The bags go either
around the return spout in canisters or along the water fall in outside power
filters.  I fill the bags with suitable bio material. Material that floats is
generally best. The outflow water must then pass through the bags and
materials.  This does not stop the rate of flow, but it diffuses the water
current, making it gentle, and provides additional trickle filtration. When
it becomes bio activate fish like to graze on the growth.  I have also used
it successfully for peat filtration.  The only setback that I see is that
outside filters can back up faster than usual.