Reducing filter outlet flow

I noticed that the water outlet flow of my filter
is too strong even though the filter I used states
that it is suitable for 200 to 450 litres and my tank
is about 450 litres.

The plants are swaying and the little shrimps I have
are being swept to  the  farthest  end  if they cross
the path of the filter outlet flow.

In an attempt to reduce  the flow, I turn the inlet
valve of the  filter partially, from the fully open
position. Question is : Is there a problem in  doing
that? If yes, what's the problems and what  are the
other alternatives to reduce the outlet flow currents.

Appreciate any advice.