RE: Clay balls

>I've been doing some reading on using clay balls to
>fertilize root feeding plants.  I've also been reading
>that phosphate additions to the water column are a bad
>thing, and that even wrapped in clay some phosphate
>may enter the water column.

It (PO4) is not a bad thing in and of its self as plants do need it and can
use quite a bit. You may have a fair amount from food & your tap water
already though. I would check that source first. Jobes sticks are quite
effective, easy(they are already made), widely used and very cheap. They
have the palm sticks which are low(er) in PO4 than many fertilizers. I use
these myself and I have high PO4 in my tap water(1.10ppm+) and I do 30-70%
water change often so I'm adding PO4 to my tank when I do a water change
essentially. My PO4 levels drop about 0.1-0.3ppm a day depending on the
tank.  I add plenty of food but have low fish loads. This makes up for lower
water column levels of both a source of nitrogen and phosphates and perhaps
some other nutrients by week's end. You might want to test your water and
see where things are at before doing anything really. If you have deep
gravel little will leak out/up. This is one of the good reasons to a have a
big deep gravel bed. Being careful is a good way to not have it seep into
the water column. Making sure the balls are pushed way down to very bottom
is another. A quick water change and a light vac-ing is a good idea after a
removal of say a large sword plant etc that may bring some excess fertilizer
up when replanting.  Your plants will use quite a bit of PO4 *IF* the light
is good and the CO2 is also good. It is all about balance.

>In my area of the U.S., a lawn grass known as
>Centipede is popular.  This grass has no need
>whatsoever for additional phosphate, and thus has a
>specially formulated fertilizer.  15-0-15, with 3%
>Iron.  Is there any reason why I shouldn't make some
>fertilizer nuggets with this stuff?

Sounds fine to use. Try a small amount first then work your way up. Basic
stuff:)
Regards,
Tom Barr