Low P fertilizer

I've been doing some reading on using clay balls to
fertilize root feeding plants.  I've also been reading
that phosphate additions to the water column are a bad
thing, and that even wrapped in clay some phosphate
may enter the water column.

In my area of the U.S., a lawn grass known as
Centipede is popular.  This grass has no need
whatsoever for additional phosphate, and thus has a
specially formulated fertilizer.  15-0-15, with 3%
Iron.  Is there any reason why I shouldn't make some
fertilizer nuggets with this stuff?