Re: Funky Clown Loach Tank

> Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 20:51:27 -0400
> From: "DT" <itsdon at erinet_com>
>
> I`ve read that several folks out there have and love their Clown Loaches in
> their planted tanks . Well , I aquired 6 of them ranging from 3 1/2 to over
> 5 inches long . Since their addition to my tank I`ve noticed a lot of "funk"
> in the water .

Did you have snails in the tank before you added the clown loaches?  Clown loaches love escargot!

I have found that snails do a great job of cleaning up detritus. What you may be
seeing is the loaches have decimated your janitorial crew and you now have
detritus building up on top of the substrate. Any movement stirs it up.

What to do?  I'm afraid you have to remove the loaches.  We had this very same
problem and had to donate two very lovely 5" clowns loaches to the LFS.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts