Bent Spine SAE

>Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 20:38:29 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Cavan <millsman7 at yahoo_com>
>Subject: Deforming SAEs
>
>Here's a weird one.  I started out with three SAEs in
>my thirty gallon tank.  After awhile, one started to
>look really skinny with a kinked spine.  I assumed it
>was a genetic goof until it happened to another one
>that was always a bit skinny.  The third remains full
>bodied and growing.  Algae is VERY scarce, but they do
>eat flake food and mosquito larvae.  I have never seen
>anything like this before.  Thoughts?  Thanks, Cavan.

I haven't had this happen in an SAE, but I have had this happen in zebra
danios.  From what I understand, this occurs just as the fish age.  Soon
after the crooked spine showed up, the fish died (but he was old, 3+
years).  How old are your SAE's?  If they are eating and otherwise acting
normally, I don't think there is much you can do.

-j.