What's this?

I am still treating my fish in a hospital tank for
Ich.  So far, they are all healthy with no more signs
of infection.  They are eating everything offered and
appear to be well on their way to recovery.

In my temporarily fishless 10 gallon tank, I now have
plants that are beginning to develop this white, fuzzy
stuff on all of the leaves.  It grows in strands that
reach 1 to 1.5 cm (1/2 inch or so).  The water is
quite cloudy now, and I suspect it is from the same
stuff.  It does not appear to be algae.  My filter
media quickly gums up with this stuff--it is slimy and
appears to be coating everything in the tank.  The
plants were pearling last week.  They aren't anymore,
or at least not while I'm watching.

My tank started out with a pH of 7.4 to 7.8,
alkalinity about 100 ppm.  Ph has slowly decreased to
a range of 6.8 to 7.2, and alkalinity has fallen to
about 40 ppm.  Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0.  I don't
have a nitrate test kit.

What is this stuff?  A species of bacteria, perhaps?
If it is, is it safe to be patient and let the stuff
run its course, or is there something else afoot here?

I was planning on upping the population with more
tetras and a school of dannios when the ich treatment
ends, but now I'm not sure it's a good idea to do so.

The only tank occupants that have not missed a lick
are the five snails I thought I had three, then two
more showed up.  They're getting as fat and sassy as a
creole eating his gumbo.  One has more than doubled in
size (from about 2mm to 5mm), and the others aren't
far behind.  Maybe if these guys are happy, I
shouldn't worry so much...