Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #445

> Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 14:21:41 -0500
> From: Lobos <lobos0331 at yahoo_com>
> Subject: re:BGA, H202, KH, Ph and CO2...
>
>              BGA has also been found to occur in situations where poor
> water
>              currents in the tank result in low O2 levels in portions of
> the tank. In
>              these cases, increasing water movement will often eliminate
> the
>              BGA.
>
>                 antibiotics should be used carefully. They can damage bio-filter
>
> bacteria,
>         and mis-use of antibiotics can be harmfull to the fish.

I too am still battling BGA in one of my tanks.  After lightening my fish load
about 30%, some of it died back a bit but it is still present in some areas of the
tank where the water flow seems to be the slowest.  I'm going to try redirecting
my out put from my canister filter to see if this makes a difference.  I'll keep
y'all posted.  I'm trying very hard to keep from using any anitbiotics for the
reasons stated above and because I feel that it would be treating the symptom and
not the source of the problem.  Even if I dosed correctly and the BGA went away,
I'm convinced it would come back if the original cause of the outbreak is not
found and corrected.  There are so many parameters in a planted tank that could be
affecting the cause of BGA that using antibiotics or H2O2 are way down the line on
my check list of things to try.

Say, has anyone used the Fluval 304 canister filter on a planted tank?  I going to
be getting rid of my Rennaisance Prime 20 as it seems to be slowly falling apart -
intake tube cracking, etc...  The Fluval 304 looks to me to be a soundly
constructed unit and I wondered if anyone has had any practical experience with
this unit (good or bad) that they would like to share.
Thanks,
Pat O'Sullivan