re: Hair Algae

UV sterilizer effect nutrients in the tank.  If your tank is running well
now, other than the algae, turning off the sterilizer may solve your
problem.  You could then use the sterilizer only intermittently, or only
when there is a problem.

If you have not read the information on PMDD on the Krib,
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilizer/, I recommend that you do.  There
is some discussion regarding reducing phosphates and the effects of a UV
sterilizer on nutrients.