Eheim CO2 Kit problem

Here's a problem from my friend who's not on this list:

He's got the Eheim CO2 set-up.. bottle (i think a 7 lbs) with a small
regulator with the high pressure difusser (spelling error?!) anyways.. it
cost him 2x as much to fill my 20 lbs bottle but the main problem is that
the thread is wrong... and they can't fill that bottle..(at least not
properly..) without some type of adapter to change to the 'north american'
thread? the bottle was only filled 1/2 way last time.. unfortuantly plants
in his tank aren't doing too well without the co2.. (red cabomba is turning
white! cyperus is dying off.. as there is increase in unwanted algae where
there wasn't as much before..the glosostigma still spreads like a weed but
the leaves are smaller?.. the list goes on and on..) the tank is very nicely
aquascaped.. but everything isn't doing as well...

unfortuantly he would not like to rent a 20lbs bottle and buy a regulator
because he is returning to HK by the end of the year and there are stores
there that would refill the tank without a problem (european thread i
believe.. or i may be wrong)

is there some type of adapter he could put on this bottle so he could get it
filled around here.. (that's what the guy said .. he'll only fill it if he
finds a proper adapter for the bottle)

please send me an e-mail if you have a solution besides exchanging a new
regulator/co2 bottle.. or any comments..
thanks
Raymond Wong
http://welcome.to/myapisto