Re: Red web pattern

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Zach K wrote:

>     It says that sulfur defic. is like N defic., but that it affects new
> leaves first.  So that's why I was asking about sulfur- it looked like the
> only candidate for anthocyanin in new leaves.  I've never seen any posting
> reporting a sulfur defic. though.  Has anyone ever seen a sulfur deficiency
> in a plant tank?

Sulfur deficiency should be very rare.  That's because a) plants only need
a small amount of it and b) it is -- as sulfate -- a major solute in
water.

If you use RO/DI water and reconstitute with something that doesn't
contain sulfate, then you could force a sulfur deficiency.  Epson salt
would probably be the most readily available alternative source of
sulfate.

For what it's worth, big Echinodorus thrive on Jobes spikes and if you
aren't using them now then you might want to try them, even if you can't
pin down a specific deficiency.

Are you sure you guys actually have E. cordifolius?  Red tracings on the
new leaves of amazon sword plants (E. amazonicus, E. bleheri, E.
parvifloris) are fairly normal.

E. cordifolius is a big, fast-growing plant.  A few years ago when I tried
growing E. cordifolius submersed I bought a 3" high potted plant and it
bolted out of the tank so fast it scared me.  New leaves weren't under
water long enough to worry about how they looked. I ripped it out and
threw it away.  Now I'm growing it emersed.  The new leaves have darker
veins, but that goes away when the leaf starts unfurling.

Roger Miller