36" Lighting

I'm following this thread closely because I also have a 36" tank, with no
lights yet.  Just my 10 gallon has plants (mainly a thriving crypt, and
rotala that gets trimmed quite often).  Anyway I was wondering if I could go
and buy one of those 4' shop lights and hack 12" out of the middle and
attach it back together.  Any reason this may not work, I do notice in a
mail order catalog that they do have some T-12 36" lights, mainly t-8's but
a few T-12's.  Would there be a ballast issue here, or you think it may
work.

Dustin