red web pattern

    I have two e. cordifolia which have begun to show an intricate pattern of
fine red lines (like pin scratches) on new leaves which seem to diminish
somewhat as the leaves age.  The lines trace the inner structure of the
leaves, are  1/16th" apart, and more or less cover the leaves uniformly, like
a fine spider web.  Is this a deficiency symptom, or normal for the variety?
Sulfur defic. effects new leaves according to the defic. chart, but I don't
know if it would cause anthocyanin, which is what this looks like.  I've seen
when swords put out red or brownish leaves, and these cordif.s even did that
a while back, but this looks very different.
    -Thanks-
      Zach k