RE: More on evaporation

I saw the results of a stuck float valve on an automatic setup on a friends
tank. I'd only use an automated filler where you have a floor drain
available.  At least when I had a tank spring a leak, I knew how much water
was the worst case. :)

Another easy option for solving the "perceived" water loss is to use really
large sumps with wet/dry filters. I lose 4 gallons a week in evaporation,
but it takes 6 gallons of loss to start drawing air at the pumps, so I top
off the sumps weekly.

Next time, I think a two week sump reserve would be a better idea so I could
skip the top off between water changes.

Jon Wilson
http://www.knology.net/~jwilson/plants.htm