Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 18:13:42 EDT
From: IDMiamiBob at aol_com
Subject: Re: George Booth's Evaporation Problem solved

Merrill writes:

> Just attach a Meridian Automatic Aquarium Water Changer to your aquarium
>  or to your "well" under the aquarium and turn it on for the required
>  time to replace your evaporation.  It changes 5 gallons per hour, so you
>  can even hook it up to a garden hose timer for the amount of time to
>  replace the evaporated water.  It's an ideal project for you.

Do it one better.  Hide a small second tank behind it or elsewhere at
the
same level.  Put an all-plastic toilet valve assembly in that second
tank,
and run a permanent siphon between the two.  When the water level drops,
the
valve opens by itself and replaces the water.  Or how's this-

You get a couple of those one-gallon-per hour drip valves in the garden
department at the department store.  You hang them in the tank, attached
to a
sprinkler system timer.  You set the thing so it replaces 10% or 20% or
whatever every week, twice a week, again-whatever.  You set up a
self-regulating siphon (goose-neck siphon) in the back of the tank and
run
its output to a drain somewhere.  You can automatically top off and get
water
changes done at the same time without any effort from you.

Bob Dixon