Re: Watts and hogwash

Wright writes:

> The tank is not free space, and your lamps -- even MH -- are not point
>  sources. Light that you manage to get coupled into the tank through the top
>  surface stays inside, like a light pipe, until it encounters some
>  absorbing/refecting surface.

It has been my experience that even a tank with nothing in it  but water and
gravel can be a significant light source for an entire room.  Light manages
to come out of it all over the place.  The reflectors on most light
situations are not nearly as focusing as a spot light, or even a typical
flashlight, where the bulb is buried way back inside a concave dish.

Bob Dixon