Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #404

On the subject of lighting, I have been using the starting point of 2
watts per gallon not over 18" high for years.  This will give good
growth and few if any algae problems if you have a good substrate and a
moderate fish load and don't overfeed.  This will work with water that
is very soft (mine) and moderately hard water (150 ppm).  I suspect that
it will work with even harder water.  If you want to grow plants with
higher light demands such as cabomba, then gradually add more light.
Mostly, I use shop lights and GE Chroma 50 bulbs.  I really enjoy doing
things as simply as possible.

Joe Hildreth