Re: light intensity

Wayne wrote:

>George's system may produce quite a bit more light than the lamp wattage
>actually indicates. I would very much like to know the current and voltage
>across the lamps in his system so I could learn the wattage his lamps are
>actually consuming. One of the most interesting things about George's setup
>is that it is not fully optimized.

That's hard to measure since I use rubber end caps - it's hard to get to the
bulb pins. But I use plain, old-fashioned tar ballasts made by Advance that
produce loads of heat (i.e., energy loss).  It would be nice to go to energy
efficient T-8 bulbs and electronic ballasts (and don't think I haven't thought
about it) but there is all the work involved in getting parts and finding the
right bulbs and constructing the whole thing. besides, what I have now is just
enough <g>.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
  http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts